Cobreloa and La “U” progress to final

Despite losing the second legs of their semi-finals 2-1, both Cobreloa and Universidad de Chile progressed to the final after seeing off Colo Colo and Universidad Católica respectively.

Cobreloa progressed to their first final since 2004 despite losing the second leg of their semi-final 2-1 to Colo Colo. The tie ended 4-4 on aggregate but the team from Calama made it through to the final after finishing the season higher on the table. As for the match itself, Colo Colo got off to exactly the start they were after as goals to Carlos Muñoz and Esteban Paredes saw them 2-0 up after twenty-four minutes. Needing to win by two goals, los albos were in pole position to progress especially when their opponents were reduced to ten after Hugo Lusardi got his marching orders in the 77th minute. However a 81st goal from Paraguayan Diego Barrios saw the home side get the goal they need and despite a frantic ending to the match, Colo Colo’s chance of reaching a final for the first time since 2009 were dashed.

In the week’s other semi-final, Universidad Católica brought Universidad de Chile’s thirty-six match unbeaten run to an end with a 2-1 victory but it wasn’t enough for them to progress to their fourth consecutive final. La “U” may have progressed to the final, but everyone will be talking about whether or not Eduardo Vargas will play a part after he received a straight red card in the 53rd minute. Vargas’ red card came after Kevin Harbottle had given los cruzados the lead just before the half time break in what was a tightly contested match to that stage. With a man advantage, the visitors pushed for a second goal that would have seen them progress but the home weren’t to be denied as Osvaldo González scored a peach of a volley in the 59th minute to bring the match back on level terms and give the home side the advantage. Católica then were reduced to ten men themselves after Francisco Silva received his marching orders in the 81st minute after receiving his second yellow card before José Luis Villanueva scored the game winner in the 91st minute for the visitors but in the end it was a case of all a little too late.

Primera Division Campeonato de Clausura 2011, semi-final fixtures, second leg

Cobreloa 1-2 Colo Colo  (C. Muñoz (CC) 14′, E. Paredes (CC) 24′, D. Barrios (CBA) 81′)
U. de Chile 1-2 U. Católica (K. Harbottle (UC) 42′, O. González (UCH) 59′, J.L. Villanueva (UC) 91′)
Photo taken from
This entry was posted in Primera Division and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s